Monday, December 1, 2008

my (un)irrational fear of owls.


There is a perfectly rational fear of owls. Not just in the physical sense, seeing that they're big and have huge, depth-less black eyes, and wings that span many feet. Yes, they are majestic, and I see them as such, but not as often as I see them as harbingers of death. When I lived in Wisconsin, right off of the Menominee Reservation, it was told to me by one of my father's friends (my father was a doctor for the tribe) that when an owl cried in such a certain way, that someone in the next tribe had died. My father heard it once, and in fact, someone in the neighboring tribe had died, which, in itself, is either coincidental or real.

When I was around seven years old, I had a dream that I was walking to down the street in the dark, in a blue and green plaid nightgown without any shoes - I stopped walking because I heard a noise, and I turned around, only to see a huge white owl staring at me. I still remember the feeling of being looked straight at, with those deep and black eyes, and feeling like I couldn't hide anything, even though I was only seven. I woke up in a cold sweat, and to this day, even seeing pictures or videos of them on television makes be break out in goosebumps.

When I was about twelve, I had a violin concert that I had been performing at with the orchestra I had attended. My father took me there, and the concert ended at around ten. So, driving about an hour and a half home, it was around eleven-thirty when we were driving down our road. It happened to be a foggy night, of course, and I was half asleep and kind of groggy, since it was way past my bedtime.

(A picture of the road that we were driving down in the less-scary daytime.)

Out of the fog and mist, right through the dark trees came this huge white bird. I mean, we're talking seven-foot wingspan, here. It was flying straight in front of us, and I suppose that it was backing up when it saw our headlights, because the wings expanded even more and it pushed the fog and mist from around it, keeping it hovered in mid-air. I swear, it was the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life. Being half asleep and already being scared of owls made me think it was the angel of death coming to take me or something. I know that I was awake and fully alert at that point, also, because my father said that I was screaming like I was being murdered. Eventually, it flew off, leaving the fog to settle and for me to stay unsettled for the next couple of weeks.

That is why I'm afraid of owls. However! I was researching about what it means when owls visit you on some site about mythology or something, and it said this:

"If an owl has visited you, an incredible gift has been bestowed. Also, keep in mind that animals are only called to those who share the same energy. In other words, you hold within you some of the very same symbolic attributes the owl represents...

- intelligence
- brilliance
- perspective
- intuition
- quick-wit
- independence
- wisdom
- protection
- mystery
- power

To illustrate, you may have abilities to know things that others do not know. It may be likely you have very strong intuitive abilities that can be fine-tuned. Further, you may be strong-willed person, and/or have a protective side to you. This shows that you are mentally sharp - so we know you have this in common with the owl already."

(http://symbolic-meanings.com/2007/08/14/owl-symbolism-deeper-meaning-of-owl/)

Still. Even if I have those characteristics, owls are still freaky.

Stay sharp and look classy.

- Alex

No comments: